cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New CocoonServlet throws NullPointerException...
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 21:16:18 GMT

Pier Fumagalli wrote, On 06/02/2003 22.01:
> "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritsenko@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>>

>>>Well, anyhow, this fixes it...
>>
>>It does not fix the reason of NPE though, this is just a workaround.
>>Intention was not to log stacktrace in under certain conditions.
>
> Yes... That's why I didn't commit it straight away.... I didn't quite figure
> out yet exactly what the NotificationManager does... :-)
>
>>I committed the fix, could you please try it out?
>
> It does work, but I still don't get how can I generate something like the
> default error page, when I start using the map:handle-error I have a
> completely different set of stuff coming out (like, still, the
> stacktrace)...

Who is the stupid guy that made that crap?!? <whistle> ;-P

> Is there any sort of documentation on <map:handle-error/> somewhere?

Ahem...

> I'm going to get a headache soon :-( :-(

Oh ooo...

Well, basically the stuff that does the notifying is in
org.apache.cocoon.components.notification.*

Basically it's about using a Notifying object to create a notification.
A Notifying object must have these infos:

     /**
      * Gets the Type of the Notifying object
      */
     String getType();

     /**
      * Gets the Title of the Notifying object
      */
     String getTitle();

     /**
      * Gets the Source of the Notifying object
      */
     String getSource();

     /**
      * Gets the Sender of the Notifying object
      */
     String getSender();

     /**
      * Gets the Message of the Notifying object
      */
     String getMessage();

     /**
      * Gets the Description of the Notifying object
      */
     String getDescription();

     /**
      * Gets the ExtraDescriptions of the Notifying object
      */
     Map getExtraDescriptions();

The DefaultNotifyingBuilder is the default implementation of the
notifier, that creates the messages in xml and html. The xml dtd is
fixed, and the html mimics that.

As for handle-errors, it works like this: when an error in caught by the
sitemap, a Notifying object is created from the error and added to the
context. Then a new pipeline is setup, that is the handle-errors one,
and the generator is the implicit NotifyingGenerator, that takes the
Notifying stuff from the context and generates the sax events in the
fixed DTD.

This passing stuff per context was done with the help of Peter Royal (hi
Peter!) to make actions that work on the Notifying usable in handle-errors.

The implicit Generator should not remain implicit anymore. We have voted
to make it specifiable in handle-errors. Just someone has to do it.

If you have other questions, and you surely will ;-) I'm here.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -