cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [TIPS] Basic configurations of Apache 2.0 for Cocoon 2
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:34:55 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>>Please, don't get me wrong: Pier suggestions are great and I'm so glad I
>>convinced him to come back to work here on cocoonland, but we must not
>>sit on those sysadmin tricks (even if clever and powerful) we must
>>design a system that stands the pressure both from a technological *and*
>>a human point of view.
>>
>>So, the URI space should be designed with *NO* technological constraints
>>imposed by the architecture.
>>
>>Just stating this loud and clear.
>

> Absolutely... I know that the solution is far from perfect, but if your
> website works today, Stefano, it's because of the hack! :-)

I know. I was just making sure that others knew what we already
discussed privately.

> That doesn't imply that we should sit on our asses and use that forever...
> It works now because there's nothing better at the moment, nothing allowing
> us to do things in a less hacky way, or faster...
>
> Note the words I used describing rewrite:
>
>     [...] if we want to be really nasty, and starting to serve (for example)
>     all our GIF and JPG files straight via Apache, we would need to use
>     mod_rewrite. I know, mod_rewrite is ugly [...]
>
> There will be a friggin' working solution one day, it's just not there
> yet...

Exactly. So, people, the moral of the story is: HTTPd can give you a lot
of power and you can *abuse it* a lot. But we should not rest on those
hacks but we should look for architectural solutions that last.

>     Pier
>
> (Note to self: Even remotely, Stefano is hinting my subconscious mind to get
> down to my knees and write C code, remember to flame him for that one day)

ihihihih :)

    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate [William of Ockham]