cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should we move mailing list names?
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:30:49 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
>>
>>We also have to take into account the future subprojects of
>>the Cocoon
>>top-level project. In this perspective, the current Cocoon should be
>>considered as the "core" of a group of related projects (CMS, GIS,
>>webapp, etc.)
>>
>>In that perspective, I don't like stripping the distinctive part of
>>mailing lists for a generic "dev@" if there is to be some
>>"xxx-dev@" in the future.
>

> We did that in Avalon, with the (in hindsight predictable) results that
> each little mailing list became a community of its own - we had people
> working on Phoenix (then the Avalon reference container) who didn't know
>
> about Avalon! (Only with the formation of the PMC did we merge
> phoenix-dev
> back with avalon-dev.)
>
> In short, Sylvain, you may not want to do what you plan for.

Agreed with the general principle, even if our situation is a little
different.

Cocoon doesn't have different concurrent and overlapping implementations
(yet, considering word on embedded devices)

I do not expect (nor will like to see it happening) a different mail
list for each different block and I would *not* like to see a different
mail list for each cocoon implementation (actually, I would not like
even to see a different CVS module for each cocoon implementation).

This community is strong and healthy, but this is not a quality that
remains forever, it's something that always needs to be scrutinized and
controlled.

    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate [William of Ockham]