cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Should we move mailing list names?
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 20:51:36 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
>>
>>We also have to take into account the future subprojects of
>>the Cocoon
>>top-level project. In this perspective, the current Cocoon should be
>>considered as the "core" of a group of related projects (CMS, GIS,
>>webapp, etc.)
>>
>>In that perspective, I don't like stripping the distinctive part of
>>mailing lists for a generic "dev@" if there is to be some
>>"xxx-dev@" in the future.
>>

>We did that in Avalon, with the (in hindsight predictable) results that
>each little mailing list became a community of its own - we had people
>working on Phoenix (then the Avalon reference container) who didn't know
>about Avalon! (Only with the formation of the PMC did we merge
>phoenix-dev back with avalon-dev.)
>
>In short, Sylvain, you may not want to do what you plan for.

I understand your concern. However, I wonder if Cocoon's future
subprojects can be compared to Avalon : these subprojects will be based
on the core Cocoon framework, and as such won't be able to ignore what's
going on there. The relation between Phoenix and other Avalon subproject
is different, since the overlap between them is very small.

Mmmh... (thinking while I'm typing...) I guess you will say that it this
small overlap was actually enforced by separate mailing lists, and that
the current work on a single container architecture is partly due to
some common discussions on a single mailing list. So... you may be right.

Sylvain