cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [ANN] GroupingTransformer
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:46:32 GMT

Ugo Cei wrote, On 05/02/2003 14.39:
> Bruno Dumon wrote:
>> I've never tried to do things like grouping and calculating summaries in
>> XSLT, but I think that:
>>  * writing the config file for the GroupingTransformer is less work than
>> doing the same thing in XSLT.
>>  * calculating things like averages, sums, min and max values is a lot
>> easier than in XSLT (or probably impossible XSLT)
>>  * it should run faster than XSLT
> On the other hand, an XSLT-based solution would be usable also outside
> of Cocoon.

Wait for XSLT2 then, that has grouping specified.

> Oh well, I'd better download the thing and have a serious look instead
> of speculating.
>     Ugo
> P.S.: Apologies if I sounded skeptic. I'm sure that, coming from
> Outerthought, it's a great piece of work.

Having done a lot of groupings with different methods when I was doing
reporting, and having seen the unreadability of the solutions and the
slowness, even without looking at the implementation I think it's an
excellent idea.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: