cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT rant] there must be some way out of here...
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 18:22:54 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> ...there's too much confusion here, I can't get no relief.
>
> Besides quoting Bob Dylan, I'm *PISSED OFF* since I've spent the entire
> day trying to get Apache 2.0.x + Tomcat *.* working on Solaris and I
> decided to throw everything down the drain.

I feel your pain.  That's why I use Caucho Resin instead...  Although it
does have issues if you are dynamically generating graphics for the same
URI.  It has an aggressive cache.

> I'll never use Tomcat again. Period. The phylosophy behind it (big
> servlet engine, light http stack on top) is plain wrong.

:)

The Haboob server built on SEDA has promise--although it is primarily a
research project.  Imagine being able to gracefully handle 10,000
clients simultaneously with a proper scaling of performance--all in
Java.  (it makes use of the NBIO library with JNI).  It is no where
near Servlet compliant, but as a static HTML or simple CGI based server
that is impressive by any standard.

In fact this server outperformed Apache HTTPD 1.3.x in tests on a Linux
box!  Incredimazing!

> Its connectors win the nobel price for cryptic configuration files and
> absent documentation (the first who says that cocoon docs sucks will
> have to figure out how to compile tomcat and connectors from source
> before being allowed to speak again)
>
> Moreover, there are *three* different tomcat implementations
> concurrently maintained.
>
> I'm sick of this.
>
> And I'm not alone.

No you aren't.