cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT rant] there must be some way out of here...
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:53:24 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> Hm... I don't like squid that much... It doesn't allow you to do a bunch of
> nifty stuff that Apache lets you do... It is a little bit faster, but speed
> comes at a great price:
>
> For example, you can't direct people to a holding page when the servlet
> container is down, and this is something that I definitely need in my
> production environment,

Good point. But when you say:

> plus as the Java Virtual Machine, "squid" is a
> single-process server, if the one process crashes, you'll have to wait for a
> restart and basically unable to serve requests.

and:

> Performance is good, but you always have to see what you're going to loose.
> As I said earlier, the main disadvantage of non-native solutions (or Squid,
> for that matters), means that you are going to have ONE only process
> listening to your port 80... That is not good.
>
> At least, it doesn't work for me, where hardware is not an issue, but
> resilience is: I can throw in another E4500 to spread the load if I have
> performance problems, but I cannot loose a hit (connection refused is not
> acceptable in my workplace - although it still happens).

I have somehow to disagree. There are other ways to achieve resilience,
via redundancy and balancing (Foundry and Radware have both great
solutions for that), and in every case where resilience was that
important in my projects, I always resorted to external hardware doing
the job for me (and much better than me, for that matter). And if you
can throw another 4500 you can throw a WSD or a Server Iron for sure. :-)

> Jetty too has a NIO adapter (I know that it is completely different from
> what your mentioning, I know) Greg was talking about something similar, but
> he mentioned that if you wanted to use NIO you'd better move away from the
> servlet spec (and I agree wholeheartedly).

That is exactly what I'm afraid to discover. The bad news is that most
probably if you can't deal with NIO you can't deal with nbio, no matter
if native or built-in. Stuck? We'll see. :-)

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.