cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT rant] there must be some way out of here...
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:21:55 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> Well, remember that now in Apache 2.0 mod_proxy and mod_cache are separated,
> so, if you achieve proxy "full support" using HTTP, you'll be able to simply
> replace the HTTP proxying module with something (Better? Faster? Is it
> really needed?), and keep all that caching magic working at the same time...

Yep. Apache mod_proxy (+ mod_cache) for the average, Squid for more
advanced users and Akamai for the huge boxes. :-)

> The only case where I see something different from mod_proxy to be used
> would be in the case when you really need a lot of thrughput, and so you can
> use things like shared memory and unix sockets/pipes between Apache and
> Cocoon to basically avoid the re-parsing of the HTTP protocol and be as
> close to the client as possible (a some sort of mod_cocoon)...
>
> But of course that approach would mean having the Java code to rely on
> something native, with the rather-obvious problems of portability and
> maintainance... Quite complicated indeed... It wouldn't be 100% pure java
> anymore...

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of a NIO based, pure java,
lightweight HTTP server? I'm talking about projects like SEDA and
derivatives (http://sourceforge.net/projects/seda).

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino