cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT rant] there must be some way out of here...
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 15:57:31 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'll never use Tomcat again. Period. The phylosophy behind it (big
> servlet engine, light http stack on top) is plain wrong.
>
> mod_jserv is not supported anymore. :(
>
> mod_jk is piece of [insert your favorite nasty word here] (who is the
> genious that invented the concept that the servlet engine should
> generate the configuration file for the web server module?).
>
> mod_jk2 is even worse (who invented its configuration format must think
> in sanscrit and never heard of virtual hosts).
>
> mod_webapp (which is the only *human* one) is dead.

This made me remember those golden days when I was sticking to JServ
and.refusing to switch to Tomcat unless being forced to... looks like I
was forward looking then. :-/

> Tomcat is getting bigger and slower every day and must do only one
> stupid thing (connect a URI to a servlet, dah!) that we were able to do
> in jserv with some 120Kb of java code. Talking about flexibility
> syndrome. Hello? we already have a damn good web server!!! just because
> you can't configure it doesn't mean you have to rewrite one from
> scratch. get a life.

Can't agree more. Even if when it comes to most sophisticate features
(HTTP 1.1 as a first example) I understand that it's not that easy to
implement a servlet engine in just a few lines of code.

> I'm sick of this.

So am I.

> And I'm not alone.

Definitely.