cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [OT rant] there must be some way out of here...
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 15:57:17 GMT
...there's too much confusion here, I can't get no relief.

Besides quoting Bob Dylan, I'm *PISSED OFF* since I've spent the entire
day trying to get Apache 2.0.x + Tomcat *.* working on Solaris and I
decided to throw everything down the drain.

I'll never use Tomcat again. Period. The phylosophy behind it (big
servlet engine, light http stack on top) is plain wrong.

mod_jserv is not supported anymore. :(

mod_jk is piece of [insert your favorite nasty word here] (who is the
genious that invented the concept that the servlet engine should
generate the configuration file for the web server module?).

mod_jk2 is even worse (who invented its configuration format must think
in sanscrit and never heard of virtual hosts).

mod_webapp (which is the only *human* one) is dead.

Tomcat is getting bigger and slower every day and must do only one
stupid thing (connect a URI to a servlet, dah!) that we were able to do
in jserv with some 120Kb of java code. Talking about flexibility
syndrome. Hello? we already have a damn good web server!!! just because
you can't configure it doesn't mean you have to rewrite one from
scratch. get a life.

Its connectors win the nobel price for cryptic configuration files and
absent documentation (the first who says that cocoon docs sucks will
have to figure out how to compile tomcat and connectors from source
before being allowed to speak again)

Moreover, there are *three* different tomcat implementations
concurrently maintained.

I'm sick of this.

And I'm not alone.

Enough talking, expect action.

Soon.

    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate [William of Ockham]