cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compressing output from Cocoon
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:58:34 GMT
Bart Guijt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested to see whether the following technique is useful for
> Cocoon apps as well: compressing requested content if the client
> supports it. The article at the following link illustrates this best:
>

>     http://www.servletsuite.com/servlets/compress.htm
>

> I browsed the Cocoon sources to see whether something like this was
> already implemented, but apparantly it's not.

And IMO should not!

There are much better ways of doing this compression (thru servlet
filtering or apache 2.0 module chaining)

> Has anybody used this before? What are your experiences?

I haven't used it myself, but if I had to do it I would use servlet
filtering instead of patching cocoon. cocoon's concern is to create
output, http compression is part of the transport so it should be
somebody else's concern to modify the output to reshape it to improve
the transport.

    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate [William of Ockham]