cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] M$ Office 2003 and XML
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 05:34:17 GMT
On Thursday 27 February 2003 04:21, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnofftalk/
>html/office12092002.asp

Office 97 released 1997.
Office 99 released 1999.
Office 11 released 2011??

The main drive for changing the format is to generate revenue. "My business
contacts has the new Office, and I can't open their documents, I need to
upgrade..."

However, the change to XML can be the downfall for the never-ending
upgrade-cycle forced upon Office-users, as small tools on the net will make
back-conversions....

The second assault will come from OSS projects, which now will have a clean
view into the formats, and should be able to reproduce Office documents much
better than is currently the case. UNFORTUNATELY, I think (hope not) some
tags will contain crucial data in some arcaic binary format, only useful to
COM services in the OS.

Long live the XML revolution.

Niclas