cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: software licensing
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:54:09 GMT

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Are you saying I can't sell Cocoon as-is as an off-the-shelf product, and have
> support included in the package???

Yes; you -can- give away, rent out, sell 'Cocoon' as is, and simply call
it 'Cocoon' as long as you have not modified it in any way.

That -not-modified-in-any-way- is the key point.

Note that you canot claim you wrote it or that yours is the only official
vesion; hence it cannot be be 'Acme Cocoon' (assuming the company is
called Acme) or 'The Official Cocoon' version.

See for example:

	http://www.apple.com/server/web.html

for a company who carefully portrays things as they are.

Other common approach, e.g. IBM, are adding a 'powered by Cocoon' or