cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: sample web-app too complex?
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:06:18 GMT
On 03.Feb.2003 -- 01:33 PM, Michael Melhem wrote:
> Hi Cocooners,
>
> I know that we probably have had this discussion before, but is there a
> reason why we dont have simple "Hello-World" sample web-app along side
> the current sample web-app? (or does there already exist an independent
> "hello-world" web-app that Im not aware of?)
>
> I have been trying to encourage some people I know to adopt Cocoon
> in their organisations, but it seems to me that many new people are
> daunted by the complexity of the sample web-app.  It might not seem so
> difficult for most of us (who use cocoon everyday) but this is not the
> case for most new users.

Michael, I'm not quite sure if I understand this "simple webapp"
proposal correctly. We do have a "clean-webapp" target which AFAIR
builds a webapp without samples or documentation.

The other issue is the current samples we ship. A lot lives in a
single sitemap file which is not really encouraging to try to
understand what happens in there. Perhaps, we could all adopt some
samples and split this monster into several sub sitemaps that contain
just the parts for this particular sample. Have a look at the current
database block samples to see what I mean.

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de