cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Chaperon samples in Cocoon
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:06:32 GMT
Martin Holz wrote:
> David Crossley writes:
>
> > Thanks Stephan for fixing my attempt to develop a basic
> > Chaperon sample. That is much better.
> >
> > I noticed that you also changed the pipeline for
> > generating the *.xlex and *.xgrm to be "internal-only".
> >
> > As i said in the Sourceforge posting, this was actually
> > a useful tool for helping to develop the grammars, by
> > starting with a text grammar and then calling the URIs
> > for localhost:8080/cocoon/samples/chaperon/quote.xlex
> > and .../quote.xgrm to ensure that the grammar was okay.
> >
> > However, now that cannot be done because the pipeline
> > is "internal-only". Is there any real need? Could it
> > remain exposed?
>
> There is no real need. However I would suggest to make it public
> during early development and change it to internal for final testing
> and production.
> Be careful about exposing pipelines, which are not meant for the end user.
> You may reveal information, which is not meant to leave the house. Also
> it might be easier  to hack your server and your users may depend on
> information, which you consider implementation details.

Well, how silly of me not to see that very good reason.

Stephan, i am going to close it up again and add an internal
comment to the sitemap.

Such security issues should be noted in the documentation
and/or Wiki. I just did a quick search of both and could
not find much.

> One a related question. Is there are easy way to temporary
> disable views, so you could get them back, if you need to
> do some debugging?

I cannot answer that, but i hope that someone does. It sounds
important.

--David