cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Timothy Larson" <Tdlar...@ci.canton.oh.us>
Subject Re: [BUGS] cocoon 2.0.4 map:redirect-to
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 21:48:11 GMT
Hello Joerg,

I say we have a bug because of loss of functionality.

If <map:call.../> is for internal redirects and
<map:redirect-to.../> is for client-side redirects,
then can we at least have <map:call uri="cocoon:/some-uri"/>
for internal redirects to uri's?

(Removed in 2.0.4) Internal redirect to uri: <map:redirect-to "cocoon:/..."/>
(Proposed)Internal redirect to uri: <map:call uri="cocoon:/..."/>
Internal redirect to resource: <map:call resource=""/>
Backward-compatible internal redirect to resource <map:redirect-to resource=""/>

Tim

PS: My problem with the web page was just spelling.
"map:redirect" should have been spelled "map:redirect-to".

>>> joerg.heinicke@gmx.de 01/07/03 03:29PM >>>
Hello Tim, hello Peter,

I still think it's not a bug, it's only a clarification or rectification
of the behaviour of Cocoon. There is now a <map:redirect-to uri=""/> for
client side redirects and a <map:call resource=""/> for internal
redirects. The documentation
(http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/concepts/sitemap.html) states
this unequivocal:

1. Paragraph "Redirecting":

Redirecting forwards the the request. You may externally send an
redirect response to the client. The behaviour is controlled by using
the approriate attributes of the element redirect-to. ...

(I don't know why <map:redirect-to resource=""/> still works. Backward
compatibility?)

2. Paragraph "Calling resources":

Calling resources is dissimilar to redirects as the client does not
notice this.

3. Paragraph "Protocols":

In the sitemap, you can use all protocols nearly everywhere (except for
in map:redirect).

So what's wrong with it besides that <map:redirect-to resource=""/>
still works? Maybe there is a difference in behaviour between the tree
processor and the old sitemap system using XSL and Java compiling (How
do you call this?). Can Sylvain say something on this point (his name is
in the tree processor classes)? Or does anybody else know something more?

Regards,

Joerg