cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [announce] CVSSource at cocoondev.org
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:17:21 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
> > Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> >
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> I'm please to announce the availability of the CVSSource I talked
> >> about recently on cocoon-dev.
> >>
> >> This component allows adding new protocols to the ones available in
> >> Cocoon (such as "resource:", "cocoon:", etc) which are linked "live"
> >> to a remote CVS repository. These protocols are _writeable_ : reading
> >> a CVSSource gets the latest revision of the corresponding file, and
> >> writing it creates a new revision.
> >>
> >> The implementation is based on a LGPL'ed library and so cannot be
> >> hosted on Apache's CVS.
> >

> > So, don't put library - put only mocks of needed classes. Can this be
> > done?

Great work, Sylvain!

> I'm wondering to which extends mocks are a viable solution. They're ok
> when they mock interfaces that we cannot legally redistribute in binary
> form, or a limited number of methods on specific classes (such as Oracle
> JDBC driver or WLS JSP servlet), but they become a PITA when many
> classes and methods of the target library are used.

Yes, I was wondering this myself.

> Moreover, writing a detailed mock for a LGPL'ed library means copying
> the library's structure. Legally, can't this be considered as some
> derivative work, requiring the mocks to be also LGPL'ed ? I don't know.
>
> The solution seems to me some changes to the build system so that
> problematic libraries are downloaded from a remote location when needed.

Yes.

> Time to consider moving to Maven or Centipede ?

Argh, by this you start another excellent thread about whether to use
Maven or Centipede. Oh my, this will overcrowd our mail boxes for one
week ;)

Well, for the download feature we don't really need one of those. Ant
is able to download things as well. Look at the avalon framework build
script for example. It provides extra targets to download 3rd party
libraries.

Carsten