cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Luca Morandini" <luca.morandi...@tin.it>
Subject RE: ChartTransformer 0.0.4 urge a commiter!
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:42:32 GMT

Yep. We tried to make it as simple as possible, which has meant binding it to JFreeChart.

> Also, the fact that it's tied to a LGPL package is something I don't like.

Yes, this opinion of yours is very clear.

> The fact that you want to continue with adding many features to it makes
> me think that you will need quite a lot of freedom too.

No. It is just that we don't want to lose our momentum. Moreover, we'd like to add XY graphs
to make it truly a charting solution.

> I think you should set it up on cocoondev and chenge the license to APL
> compatible, for all the reasons I said in my email

ChartTransformer is already APL, only JFreeChart is not. Moreover, as Steven suggested, the
codebase my be offically donated to
Apache.

> Fnally, if there is going to be *a* charting package, it should be
> renderer agnostic. If not, they should have their own names (as FOP is
> not FO, itext is not called PDF).

I don't agree that it should neessarly be render-agnostic, since there is NO open-standard
for charting.
Conversely I agree on changing its name: JFreeChartTransformer would give the people developing
JFreeChart their due :)

Regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant