cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Luca Morandini" <luca.morandi...@tin.it>
Subject RE: ChartTransformer 0.0.4 urge a commiter!
Date Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:36:09 GMT

Yes, I agree, but I tried to use Wings well before the idea of donating this thing to Cocoon
arised in me: I've found it to be not
up to the task (see [1]).
Moreover, I must repeat myself:
<<Yes, in an ideal world we'd happily code all together, but this being the real world,
sometimes happens that you develop a piece
of
software for a specific customer and only after the customer's needs are met (in terms of
time and features) you can think about
donating it.
This is especially true for a package like Cocoon, which is, first and foremost, the plumbing
holding software components together
(the water being XML, of course).>>

AAMOF, I dislike re-inventing the wheel: it costed money to hire Piero on that project. But,
again, Wings was not a viable option.
In a nutshell: Wings was not ready and it was too complex, since it is meant to be graphic-package-indipendent,
which the customer
didn't see as a requirement (actually, I agree with the customer on this matter).

> Anyway I am having the feeling this hot discussion somehow got into the
> wrong direction - please don't let this "my code" story from avalon
> happen here... *PLEASE*

Got the message :(  In all fairness, I must say I'm starting to take it personal...

> Better let's start the discussion about a better build system which
> downloads blocks as they are needed. So we don't have to carry those
> thousand jar in our distribution and we are able to include
> components/blocks from sources other than our CVS just by adding a URL.

I agree completely.

Regards,

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103538905118641&w=2

               Luca Morandini