cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <>
Subject Re: [ESQL] Improvement....
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:36:41 GMT
Torsten Curdt dijo:
>> In example A all is OK.
>> In example B we are not using the power of the Database Manager.
>> WHY?
>> The LIMIT clause was designed to tell the database engine:
>> "Let find just X rows", then the database engine when it got the X
>> rows stop searching and return the X rows. It improves the response
>> time, since does not to continue searching!
>> Now think in a 10 million row table and YOU KNOW you need only 5 rows!
> whether 10 million rows or not - the current sollution will only ask for
>  6 - one additional row. Is that the time penalty you are talking about?

Yes, because you already know that there are only 5 rows for every
register. Then the database will search the last 6th row that no exist.
Forcing to searh in the ENTIRE table.

Maybe your 5 rows are at the beginning of the table but the non existent
6th row will force the Database Engine to search for this.

Antonio Gallardo.