cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andy Lewis" <...@ascii27.net>
Subject Re: RequestDispatcher with Cocoon
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:33:38 GMT

If I actually get it working, I would certinaly contribute it. Yeah, ugly, but probalby no
really
CLEAN way to achieve it.
At any rate, many thanks for the guidance - I'll go with a reader. I suspected that using
the
wrong componenet would cause me grief....
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Andy Lewis wrote:
>>
>>> I have a need to, under specific circumstances, do a
>>> RequestDispatcher.forward out of Cocoon. I've
>>> not found any support for this in Cocoon. Alternatives won't work  since I need
to do this
>>> while
>>> preserving request attributes. I would expect to be able to code this  as an
Action without
>>> extreme
>>> difficulty, but I thought I would thorw the idea to the list first  and see if
anyone has any
>>> ideas, comments, or suggestions...(something other than "No!  Don't  do it!"
:)
>>> Many thanks....
>>>

>> Why do I think that reader is much better place for something like  this (...assuming
that
>> it's possible...)?
>

> Because forwarding delegates the production of the output to the target  resource. But
Cocoon
> expects the sitemap to produce something or an  error is displayed.
>
> So the only place where such forwarding is possible is in a Cocoon  component that feeds
the
> output with abitrary binary data, and Cocoon  names it a reader ;-)
>
> Andy, would you like to contribute a "ForwardReader", how ugly and  servlet-tied as it
may be ?

> Sylvain
>
> --
> http://www.apache.org/~sylvain           http://www.anyware-tech.com { XML, Java, Cocoon,
> OpenSource }*{ Training, Consulting, Projects }

"The heights of genius are only measurable by the depths of stupidity."