cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [PMC] bootstrapping the PMC
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:12:19 GMT
People,

since Cocoon got approuved as a top level project, we have a PMC, but
the ASF is designed in such a way that each PMC can choose its own rules
and policies.

With my PMC chair hat on (I will rarely use it, but the first PMC post
is a must) I would like to discuss those policies in public, because
there is no need to do otherwise.

The first policy we need is how to handle votes, otherwise we won't be
able to vote. In order to vote the vote policies, we'll use the old
lazy-consensus vote system we are used to.

NOTE: the difference between the old voting rules and the new ones will
only be precision. The substance will remain the same.

I'm borrowing the work done by the Avalon PMC, and I'm including it below.

I will use the [PMC] prefix for all email that will have PMC-related
public discussions. The PMC has a private list but that will only be
used for things that *require* privacy, such as legal issues or security
problems.

That list isn't setup yet.

We'll do that as soon as we have the policies finished.

Find below the voting procedures taken from the Avalon PMC (they have
not yet finalized them). I've changed all references to Avalon and added
one paragraph (tagged appropriately below)

Please give your feedback.

Thank you.

                               - o -

PMC Voting Procedures
=====================

This document details how the PMC has agreed to handle voting.

People Involved in the Voting Process
-------------------------------------

The Proposer
------------

The proposer is the one who comes up with the discussion that needs to
be addressed. Any member of the community may start the discussion. The
proposer must follow the procedures listed under the heading "Prior to
the Vote".

The Vote Administrator
----------------------

The vote administrator is the person who tallies the votes and reports
the results. The person who actually puts a proposal up for vote is
usually the vote administrator, although this task can be taken on by
someone else.

The Voter
---------

A voter is someone who expresses support, opposition or abstention for
the subject being voted on. A voter must be a PMC member. Input is
appreciated from committers and all other members of the community, but
only votes from PMC members are counted.

Prior to the Vote
the text "[PROPOSAL]" in the subject line. That practice alerts members
to the fact that you eventually intend to call a vote on the subject.

The Vote
========

When the proposal is ready to be adopted by the community, the Proposer
will call for a vote on the developers or PMC mailing list. The call for
vote must have the text "[PMC:VOTE]" in the subject line. That practice
alerts the members to the fact that the prior proposal is now ready to
vote on, and discussion should stop for the proposal.

How to Vote
===========

The voter responds to the call for vote with an expression of support,
opposition, or abstention. The exact way to express the voter's position
is listed below:

     * +1 a vote supporting the subject
     * +0 a vote abstaining from the subject (but showing some support).
     * -0 a vote abstaining from the subject (but showing disapproval).
     * -1 a vote opposing the subject

<added author="SM">
Any opposive vote must contain a detailed description of the reasoning
that led to that vote and potentially indicate an alternative proposal
that he/she would favor.
</added>

Counting Votes
==============

The vote administrator will count only the last vote from each voter.
That means a voter may change their vote at any time during the duration
of the vote.

Types of Votes
==============

There are two classes of votes: a Qualified Majority Vote and a Normal
Majority Vote.

Qualified Majority Vote
-----------------------

Any vote that affects the texts "PMC Charter" or "PMC Policies and
Procedures" is a Qualified Majority Vote. For this type of vote to pass,
it requires support from two-thirds (2/3) of the voters.

Normal Majority Vote
--------------------

All votes that do not fall under the heading of Qualified Majority Vote
are handled as a Normal Majority Vote. If more than half (1/2) of the
voters support it, then the vote has passed.

Voting Qualifications
=====================

In order for any vote to be considered binding it must have quorum, and
be held for the proper amount of time.

Quorum
------

For all votes, there must be at least three (3) voters and half (1/2) of
the PMC must cast a vote.

Duration
--------

All votes will be open for an initial period of one week. The Vote
Administrator may close the vote at any time after that period if quorum
has been achieved. If quorum could not be reached within the initial
one-week period, the vote will remain open for one additional week. If
the vote still has not achieved quorum, then it is considered failed.
The proposer can choose to bring it up later when quorum can be reached.

After the Vote
==============

When the vote is closed, the results of the vote are summarized by the
Vote Administrator. The vote administrator will send an email to the
Avalon developers or PMC list with the text "[PMC:VOTE-RESULT]" in the
subject that has the summary. The summary will include the count of all
+1, +0, -0, and -1 responses, and the final verdict of whether the
subject passed.

Disagreements

Disagreements concerning voting may be directed to the Chair. The
Chair's opinion shall be final and binding upon the PMC.