cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: What is a Parser?
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:50:25 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 07:19:05PM +0100, Ugo Cei wrote:

>>  if (saxParser != null) manager.release((Component) saxParser);
>>

>(cripes.. I've been happily nulling it in my code.. I'd better go fix:)

:)
I guess you are prepared for Avalon 5 where (going by rumors) this won't
be necessary.

>>To further complicate things, Eclipse does not like my little class
>>which implements org.apache.avalon.framework.component.Component, since
>>it insists that the type Component is deprecated, along with
>>ComponentManager. In order to play by the rules, I've removed
>>"Component" from the interfaces my class implements, but Cocoon (or is
>>it Excalibur?) barfs with a "ClassCastException" when I try to put it in
>>cocoon.xconf. Well, I just put back the "implements Component"
>>declaration and live with Eclipse's warnings, but I cannot help feeling
>>a little disoriented about all this ;-).
>>

>Yes, those deprecation warnings are annoying and misleading, because
>Component is deprecated for Avalon, not Cocoon.  Perhaps Cocoon should
>have a special avalon-framework-nodepr-4.1.3.jar , without the
>@deprecated?

My thinking, exactly... I mean, we are going to support Cocoon 2 for
some time, without changing basic interfaces like Generator, Action,
etc. And lots of @deprecation in there won't help in raising user's
confidentiality.

Avalon gurus out there - should we fork framework? ...

Vadim