cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: caching "last-modified" in response header
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:30:45 GMT
Yap, Mow Ching (Gamer.tv) wrote:
> does anyone know how to cache the last-modified value in the header for a
> cached stream pipeline?
>
> as far as i can tell, the stream pipeline in cache only stores the body of
> the response. presumably the stream pipeline itself sets the response
> headers for a cached response. is there anyway i can configure it to cache
> and set the last-modified value in the header so that the servlet engine
> sends out a 304 status code.
>
> or even better, can cocoon itself set the 304 response based on the
> last-modified date being equal to the if-modified-after?

I've been thinking about it, and plan to work on that in the near
future. What I want to do is to have a better support for proxy-friendly
headers, including E-tags, If-modified-since, if-none-match and so on.

As of now there is a pretty rough but working implementation of the
expires header, mocking up the Apache's mod_expires module and
directives. This is already a life saver for non (and not-su-much)
dynamic pipelines but yes, I'm convinced that we have to go much further
than this. Care to help?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino