cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why not LGPL? (Was: Re: ChartTransformer 0.0.4 urge a commiter!)
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:07:53 GMT
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> Rewriting the code to conform to a license is a poor choice IMO.

Agreed and respected.

Although, there is a real problem: the LGPL says that you are forced to
put changes back into the LGPL license only if you modify the library,
but not the code that links to it.

Now, what is a java library?

The real issue with LGPL is with its imprecision: there potentially no
limit about where the 'gpl infection' can get thru in your code.

Personally, I don't want to give the FSF the possibility to come after
us because of that.

I designed the blocks concept also to get around legal problems because
the xGPL works with 'redistribution', not 'installation'.

You can even install a GPL cocoon block on top of Cocoon and as long as
we don't ship any of that inside Cocoon, we are fine and the user who
does is fine as well.

The block concept will work as a condom around GPL virality (yes, RMS, I
don't like your imposed freedom, I want 'metafreedom' the freedom to
choose my flavor of it and to dislike yours, thank you)

Today, even moch classes are unsafe sex for us, because moch classes
rewrite parts that are *included* in the library so they are part of the
library itself, so they have to be LGPL-ed.

At the end, do not worry, we are not trying to paint the world with
Apache licenses (like the FSF does) so we'll work to make it possible to
make the software interoperate.

But we need blocks for that and we need a serious avalon container for
that and we need a serious community around it... or we simply screw
them and build our own container.

oh well...