cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Why not LGPL? (Was: Re: ChartTransformer 0.0.4 urge a commiter!)
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:05:30 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Not at Apache, but is there anything stopping a few developers forking
> the last LGPL'ed version on Sourceforge?

Nope, not AFAIK...

> If so, then using LGPL code could be an acceptable risk.  The
> alternatives (rewrite, or convince the world to adopt BSD/ASL) aren't fun
> at all..

Maybe from your point of view, from mine (and don't take it personally,
please, it's just an example) there's no difference between Jeff Turner
of the Cocoon fame and Mark Matthews of the MySQL-MM JDBC driver...

I had some chats in the past with Mark, and he understood our vision and
why whe used the BSD/ASL instead of GPL/LGPL, but look at how version
3.0 of his codebase is now distributed! :-)

IIRC (long time have passed) at that time we were even "in the talks"
for bringing the driver under Jakarta...

	Pier