cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: POI components....
Date Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:45:46 GMT
I always planned to but the serializer never seemed to make the waves
I'd hoped for.  I needed more feedback and it needed more of a
community...So I waited.  Some refactoring is going on for HSSF, once
thats done the generator effort will be effortless.  I'm also
considering abandoning gnumeric for a 1-1 correllated format.
(basically just taking the HSSF records and translating them back and
forth to-fro xml... this is roughly the approach microsoft is taking)...

Since gnumeric is ditching their own format, it seems like a reasonable
time to re-evaluate.  Back at that time we thought that it was a good
way to help escape the criticism that we were propegating the formats
(hence the goofy names too) and maybe bring folks together.  However, I
think we're past this and <humor>I don't really care about criticism
anymore ;-) everyone can now just bite me </humor> ;-)

If I get more of a hand with the Serializer, I'll spend more time on it
and maybe hit the generator.  Its no longer going to serve my original
purpose for it (reporting) as I've got another approach to interfacing
with HSSF.  However, it really depends on some folks stepping up to the
plate.

-Andy