cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ChartTransformer 0.0.4 urge a commiter!
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:05:37 GMT

Luca Morandini wrote:
[...]

> what to do about ChartTransformer ?
>
> Plese, take into account that we're going to add more features to it (see the todo list)
and they will be developed with only
> JFreeChart in mind

I've looked at the source code, and it's one class, and it's heavily
tied to JFreeChart. Wings is much more abstract in this regard. I don't
think that it will be easy to make it renderer-agnostic.

Also, the fact that it's tied to a LGPL package is something I don't like.

The fact that you want to continue with adding many features to it makes
me think that you will need quite a lot of freedom too.

I think you should set it up on cocoondev and chenge the license to APL
compatible, for all the reasons I said in my email. IMHO cocoonapps is a
dead horse ATM, and since we could move cocoon to cocoondev HW, it would
be the same (still have decide it though).

This is *M*HO, I'm not a gatekeeper or a guardian.

But please, if someone wants to say his opinion, please take a look at
the two codebases, and make a reasoned comparison.

Fnally, if there is going to be *a* charting package, it should be
renderer agnostic. If not, they should have their own names (as FOP is
not FO, itext is not called PDF).

             - verba volant, scripta manent -