cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ChartTransformer 0.0.4 urge a commiter!
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:14:48 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> I think it is time to start thinking in a plug-in technology for Cocoon.

Yes, it's time, but our avalon container is not good enough for that and
avalon-dev is currently a big community mess.

I'm concerned. I really am. I'm about to fork and write my own avalon
container for cocoon blocks and screw them.... this project can't wait
another 6 months for a serious container to happen.

the block pressure will tear us apart.

> As Steven pointed. It is inevitable to let people add more and more
> components (generators, transformers, etc) to Cocoon.

True.

> What about let people choice what they need? Then they will download only
> the pieces of code they need. I know this currently can be done manually,
> but we must find an easy and standard way to deploy the new components.
> Like a "Lego" toy.

We already have a pretty detailed plan of action.

Look for "cocoon blocks" in the wiki.

But implementing it is hard, not technologically but politically. It
must be done right from a community dynamic perspective and we have to
get out with Cocoon 2.1 first.

But I'm wide open to suggestions on how to move this forward.