cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:42:05 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>
>>> All:
>>>
>>> Is it ok if I remove old Cocoon releases from the xml.apache.org?
>>> To be precise:
>>>
>>> cocoon-1.7.x
>>> cocoon-1.8
>>> cocoon-2.0
>>> cocoon-2.0.1
>>> cocoon-2.0.2
>>> cocoon-2.0.3
>>

>> -1, Brian asked for space conservatism, but that doesn't mean to
>> destroy the history of this project.
>>
>> he refers to removing nighly builds, ancient alpha and beta versions.
>> releases should stay right where they are.
>

> And he refers to "every minor release and beta version". What about
> removing those? We have betas and candidate releases:
>
> Cocoon-2.0b1.zip
> Cocoon-2.0b2.zip
> Cocoon-2.0rc1a.zip
> cocoon-2.0rc2.zip

no problem removing those.

> We have minor releases:
>
> cocoon-2.0.1
> cocoon-2.0.2
> cocoon-2.0.3
> cocoon-2.0.4

those are not minor releases. Those are "releases", a release is
something that you might build your stuff upon. It's a contract. Books,
for example, use these contracts for years (before a new edition
outdates another one, but that edition can still be used)

> We can leave latest and previous release - 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 - and archive
> the rest on cocoondev.org.

I would like to keep all of our final releases in one place. I like
kernel.org that does that. I consider this historical value and also a
sense of respect to all those who may base their software on a version
of Cocoon and let it run for 20 years without changing it.

Cocoon distribution is not the lastest version, is the *entire*
collection of releases.

Damn, we advocate that open source software removes lock-ins, but how
about decades-long ones?

I'm strongly against fragmenting our distribution space on different
machines.

>> Forever.
>

> Generally speaking, I agree. Especially if they could not be reproduced
> from CVS. Moreover, all releases should be available and not only the
> set we have now (see <dream/> in this thread). But given limited
> hardware, I think it's ok to archive it on another machine.
>
> What do you think?

I say we do this incrementally:

1) first we remove all the betas, alphas, release candidates from xml
and jakarta

2) if the problem persists, we iterate again.

for the future, we'll think about ways to decentralize the distribution
system even from the source.