cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:53:50 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>  >. . .
>
>> No, I'm very concerned about the abuses that this software might
>> receive, like "I'm more important than you" based on positional location.
>
>  >. . .
>
> I think this kind of information is already present in the current
> version, even if less obvious: dragging a point far away from the
> current cloud and watching how many others follow gives a good feel of
> the influence (as perceived by Agora) of a person in  the community.

Yes, you are right on the money. The information is there but it's not
objectively confrontable like numbers would be. Yes, I admit that the
'sticky node' feature was added because I was curious to play 'community
battles' between different people and see how the community reacted.

I expect people to realize how 'forking' is dangerous by realizing how
much impact even a single major committer leaving will generate in the
community.

> Great piece of software, by the way!
> Helps get a feel for the kind of community relationships that exist.

My dream use would be to run the harvester and generate the datacloud of
the entire foundation. Then use nagoya to render it and save a snapshot
of its evolution, then make a movie of it and keep the new messages
adding new links... like a webcam on the 'status of the foundation'...
would be terribly cool, even if terribly slow... anybody has a few
teraflops that I can borrow? :)

ok, the wildest dream would be to write a distributed computing
environment a-la seti@home and have all apache friends run it to help
the foundation process its own map.... but that's something for the
future :)