cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [vote] finilizing the pending votes on flow [was Re: [RT] Flow/SitemapIntegration]
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:27:11 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> <snip>
>>Let me add:
>>  - make a new method that allows the flow to call a pipeline and pass a
>>different output stream. This will allow to use pipelines as tools to
>>serialize things, say, to disk or to other means.
>>What do you think?
> </snip>
> I think you mean a function in the system.js, don't you?

Yes, exactly. A function equivalent to sendPageAndContinue() that I can
use to call a pipeline but to use it orthogonally from the normal stream
of data that flows from the request to the response.

This is very useful, for example, to save stuff to disk or to CVS or to
any other repository and will finally, IMO, give an end to the need for
a forked pipeline that goes in two different places.

> For my flows I use a self-defined function which makes this for me:
> function callPipeline(src) {
>     xc = cocoon.componentManager.lookup( myXMLConsumer.ROLE );
>     resolver = cocoon.environment.getObjectModel().get("source-resolver");
>     srce = resolver.resolveURI(src);
>     resolver.toSAX( srce, xc );
>     return xc;
> }
> The component myXMLConsumer has a method <code>public String
> getDocument()</code> ... mabe there is a better/more elegant way, but it
> works for me ;-)

nonono, careful. You are calling a pipeline to have its data as an
object model to play with. While this is fair, I don't like it at all
and would not want it included in system.js. It looks like an hack from
miles away (sorry, no offense, just stating my impressions honestly)

What I want is something different.

I'll come up with an RT later today or tomorrow.

For now, consider it separated from this vote since it has not been
discussed well and I want more feedback on it.

Stefano Mazzocchi                               <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message