cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Zombie code (was: Re: [announce] CVSSource at cocoondev.org)
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:02:18 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>>Well, for the download feature we don't really need one of those. Ant
>>>is able to download things as well. Look at the avalon framework build
>>>script for example. It provides extra targets to download 3rd party
>>>libraries.
>>>
>>Can be a way to go. However, I'd like to place an absolute requirement
>>on the build system : the "dist" target *must compile all source files*.
>>
>>That means we may not require all libs to be present to build a local
>>cocoon.jar (some users want to build their own jar but don't need the
>>whole stuff), but the distro must include everything.
>>
>Hmm, interesting idea - this is currently not the case. I'm not sure, if
>this is really a good idea. For example, how many downloaders need the
>php support?

Not that many, but if the class isn't included in the distro, then you
can be sure _nobody_ will use it ! And so this becomes "zombie code" in
our CVS repo !

Look at [1] and [2] : this clearly shows that JSPEngineImplWLS _is_
zombified. Users need it but don't know about it, and those who know
about it find it to be out of date and give up... Had this code been
included in the distro, we certainly would have received some patches to
upgrade it for newer versions of WLS.

Sylvain

[1] : http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=104125175308139&w=2
[2] : http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=103539082721215&w=2