cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [announce] CVSSource at cocoondev.org
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:34:41 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>>So, don't put library - put only mocks of needed classes. Can this be
>>>done?
>>>

>Great work, Sylvain!

Thanks :-)
But there's still a lot to do, mainly allowing traversal of the
version/branch tree (it currently uses only the latest revision on the
main branch).

>>I'm wondering to which extends mocks are a viable solution. They're ok
>>when they mock interfaces that we cannot legally redistribute in binary
>>form, or a limited number of methods on specific classes (such as Oracle
>>JDBC driver or WLS JSP servlet), but they become a PITA when many
>>classes and methods of the target library are used.
>>

>Yes, I was wondering this myself.
>

>>Moreover, writing a detailed mock for a LGPL'ed library means copying
>>the library's structure. Legally, can't this be considered as some
>>derivative work, requiring the mocks to be also LGPL'ed ? I don't know.
>>
>>The solution seems to me some changes to the build system so that
>>problematic libraries are downloaded from a remote location when needed.
>>
>Yes.
>

>>Time to consider moving to Maven or Centipede ?
>>
>Argh, by this you start another excellent thread about whether to use
>Maven or Centipede. Oh my, this will overcrowd our mail boxes for one
>week ;)

Yep. I hesitated to write these two words ;-)

Hope I won't be flamed by Nicola Ken for having written "Maven" _before_
"Centipede" ;-P

>Well, for the download feature we don't really need one of those. Ant
>is able to download things as well. Look at the avalon framework build
>script for example. It provides extra targets to download 3rd party
>libraries.

Can be a way to go. However, I'd like to place an absolute requirement
on the build system : the "dist" target *must compile all source files*.

That means we may not require all libs to be present to build a local
cocoon.jar (some users want to build their own jar but don't need the
whole stuff), but the distro must include everything.

Sylvain