cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [announce] CVSSource at cocoondev.org
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:10:58 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm please to announce the availability of the CVSSource I talked
>> about recently on cocoon-dev.
>>
>> This component allows adding new protocols to the ones available in
>> Cocoon (such as "resource:", "cocoon:", etc) which are linked "live"
>> to a remote CVS repository. These protocols are _writeable_ : reading
>> a CVSSource gets the latest revision of the corresponding file, and
>> writing it creates a new revision.
>>
>> The implementation is based on a LGPL'ed library and so cannot be
>> hosted on Apache's CVS.
>

> So, don't put library - put only mocks of needed classes. Can this be
> done?

I'm wondering to which extends mocks are a viable solution. They're ok
when they mock interfaces that we cannot legally redistribute in binary
form, or a limited number of methods on specific classes (such as Oracle
JDBC driver or WLS JSP servlet), but they become a PITA when many
classes and methods of the target library are used.

Moreover, writing a detailed mock for a LGPL'ed library means copying
the library's structure. Legally, can't this be considered as some
derivative work, requiring the mocks to be also LGPL'ed ? I don't know.

The solution seems to me some changes to the build system so that
problematic libraries are downloaded from a remote location when needed.

Time to consider moving to Maven or Centipede ?

Sylvain