cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:35:34 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>

>>>The sitemap namespace contains a version number :
>>>"http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0", so what about upgrading to "1.1"
>>>? It would be fairly easy for the TreeProcessor to autoconfigure itself
>>>depending on the root element namespace and so handle gracefully both
>>>versions, even inside a single Cocoon instance (i.e. sitemaps and
>>>subsitemaps in different versions).
>>
>>while the sitemap namespace was introduced exactly for this, I think
>>that we should try to remove possible duplication of effort (and code).
>>
>>So, I would agree to name the Cocoon 2.1 sitemap namespace as
>>
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.1
>>
>>since it is different from the old one (and this definately helps
>>sitemap editors!) but I would try to make an effort to have the same
>>code interpret the two of them.
>>
>>This also mean that Sitemap 1.1 *extends* Sitemap 1.0, that is:
>>
>>  - all tags included in sitemap 1.0 keep the same meaning in 1.1
>>  - only new elements and attributes are added to the sitemap 1.1
>

> How would you deprecate/eliminate elements if you inherit them all the
> way to higher versions?

By moving to a 2.0 version of the namespace, to indicate back
incompatibility. Versioning should be kept consistent, expecially on
namespaces: same number means perfect compatibility, same major number
means back compatibility (if I roll forward, nothing needs to be
changed), different major means no compatibility (in a semantic sense).

I believe that we didn't remove anything from 1.0 to 1.1, did we?

In that case, I'd be in favor of keeping them there and log deprecation
warning in the logs.