cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:35:34 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>>The sitemap namespace contains a version number :
>>>"", so what about upgrading to "1.1"
>>>? It would be fairly easy for the TreeProcessor to autoconfigure itself
>>>depending on the root element namespace and so handle gracefully both
>>>versions, even inside a single Cocoon instance (i.e. sitemaps and
>>>subsitemaps in different versions).
>>while the sitemap namespace was introduced exactly for this, I think
>>that we should try to remove possible duplication of effort (and code).
>>So, I would agree to name the Cocoon 2.1 sitemap namespace as
>>since it is different from the old one (and this definately helps
>>sitemap editors!) but I would try to make an effort to have the same
>>code interpret the two of them.
>>This also mean that Sitemap 1.1 *extends* Sitemap 1.0, that is:
>>  - all tags included in sitemap 1.0 keep the same meaning in 1.1
>>  - only new elements and attributes are added to the sitemap 1.1
> How would you deprecate/eliminate elements if you inherit them all the
> way to higher versions?

By moving to a 2.0 version of the namespace, to indicate back
incompatibility. Versioning should be kept consistent, expecially on
namespaces: same number means perfect compatibility, same major number
means back compatibility (if I roll forward, nothing needs to be
changed), different major means no compatibility (in a semantic sense).

I believe that we didn't remove anything from 1.0 to 1.1, did we?

In that case, I'd be in favor of keeping them there and log deprecation
warning in the logs.

Stefano Mazzocchi                               <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message