cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:06:42 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> The sitemap namespace contains a version number :
> "http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0", so what about upgrading to "1.1"
> ? It would be fairly easy for the TreeProcessor to autoconfigure itself
> depending on the root element namespace and so handle gracefully both
> versions, even inside a single Cocoon instance (i.e. sitemaps and
> subsitemaps in different versions).

while the sitemap namespace was introduced exactly for this, I think
that we should try to remove possible duplication of effort (and code).

So, I would agree to name the Cocoon 2.1 sitemap namespace as

  http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.1

since it is different from the old one (and this definately helps
sitemap editors!) but I would try to make an effort to have the same
code interpret the two of them.

This also mean that Sitemap 1.1 *extends* Sitemap 1.0, that is:

  - all tags included in sitemap 1.0 keep the same meaning in 1.1
  - only new elements and attributes are added to the sitemap 1.1

Also, as I wrote previously, I think we are perfectly consistent with
the *design ideas* that stay underneath the sitemap and we don't need to
change anything that is currently included in 1.0 (we spent so much time
figuring out those tag names!!!)