cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:56:57 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Giacomo Pati wrote:

>>> What about simply map:pipe[s]?
>>>

>> Yes, why not - if noone comes up with a better name, we will use that.
>

> I'd prefer to keep the current naming instead of that one.
>
> For consistency it would be map:pipeline in the components, and map:pipe
> in the "beefy" part.
>
>  pipeline generator transformer ...
>  pipe     generate  transform   ...
>
> Inverting it is not so cool IMHO. I haven't yet seen users complain it's
> not understandable and I've never had that problem myself.

Careful. "pipe" is not only a verb, but also a noun. A believe that
Giacomo was using it in that sense.

Also, we made a seriuos effort to never use the same sitemap tag for
meaning different things depending on its context (say, complete xpath
compared to simple tag matching). This is a good pattern to follow, and
might help a lot implementing sitemap editors in the future.

Also, as far as using

  <pipe>
   <match>
    <generate>

where "pipe" is a verb, I would be against this because the pipeline are
*not* piping themselves and are not active. They support the skeleton
where the events flow.

The pipelines are statically built and must remain so. Having a verb
describing the act of piping might not reflect the concept that
pipelines are static assemblations of operational constructs.

So, I like

  <components>
   <pipes>
    <pipe>