cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:56:57 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>> What about simply map:pipe[s]?
>> Yes, why not - if noone comes up with a better name, we will use that.
> I'd prefer to keep the current naming instead of that one.
> For consistency it would be map:pipeline in the components, and map:pipe
> in the "beefy" part.
>  pipeline generator transformer ...
>  pipe     generate  transform   ...
> Inverting it is not so cool IMHO. I haven't yet seen users complain it's
> not understandable and I've never had that problem myself.

Careful. "pipe" is not only a verb, but also a noun. A believe that
Giacomo was using it in that sense.

Also, we made a seriuos effort to never use the same sitemap tag for
meaning different things depending on its context (say, complete xpath
compared to simple tag matching). This is a good pattern to follow, and
might help a lot implementing sitemap editors in the future.

Also, as far as using

where "pipe" is a verb, I would be against this because the pipeline are
*not* piping themselves and are not active. They support the skeleton
where the events flow.

The pipelines are statically built and must remain so. Having a verb
describing the act of piping might not reflect the concept that
pipelines are static assemblations of operational constructs.

So, I like

Stefano Mazzocchi                               <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message