cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Jeff Turner for cocoon committership
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:41:20 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 08:52:23PM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>

>>>I hereby propose Jeff Turner for cocoon committership. He is one of the
>>>major forces behind Forrest and has been proposing important patches and
>>>features addition to the main Cocoon repository.
>

> Wohoo! :)  Thanks for the nomination, it is an honour.
>

>>David & I asked some time ago, but he prefered keeping low-profile at
>>that time. But I'm sure he won't refuse the offer if it comes from you :-)
>

> Well obviously, David and Steven.. pfft, they're not nearly as good as
> Stefano ;)  No, only joking.. in fact David ought to be everyone's Cocoon
> role-model, doing unglamorous but essential things like improving docs
> and validation. But I digress..
>
> As I said then, Forrest will always be my main focus.  I want it to be
> Cocoon's killer app: dead-simple site generation, filling the vast low-
> to medium-complexity publishing niche that Cocoon currently misses.  If
> you all don't mind this user-centric perspective and associated low
> 'commit rate', then I'd count it an honour to be a committer, and do what
> I can to help.

I while ago I heard something that inspired me a lot: it used to be that
the US National Science Foundation funded "people" and not "projects". I
want to use the same pattern here.

That means, as long as I trust a committer, I don't *care* what he wants
to focus on. I don't care where he wants to take the project, as long as
he plays nicely with the rest of the community (and you have a proven
record of that, which is what really makes me confortable about giving
you commit access more than anything else)

In short, you don't have to tell us what is your focus or even if your
focus changes overtime (mine does continously), we want to sponsor "you"
not what you are interested in right now. Also because your interests
might change in the future, but your attitude toward open collaboration
and friendly consensus reaching is very unlikely to.

Of course, this is not only related to you, but to everybody else I ever
proposed for committership or voted yes on them... which, in fact,
counts for everybody since, interesting enough, this project *never*
received a -1 on an individual proposed for commit access.

Personal trust, early-on delegation of responsability and respected
openmindness: I think that's all it takes to create a healthy open
development community.