cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [RT]: Names for pipeline components section
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:04:01 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Michael Melhem wrote:
>>> I recall suggesting map:pipe in an earlier discussion because
>>> itwould confirm to "noun-verb" convention that already exists in the
>>> sitemap.
> ... the only problem being that also pipe is a noun, it does not mean
> "somebody who makes pipelines". Currently, generator is "somebody who
> generates", transformer is "somebody who transforms", etc.
> But "pipe" noun does not describe an actor, "pipe" is passive...
> "Piper" could be better but it means "somebody who plays pipe"...

I also don't like much "pipe" for the same reasons.

What about "process" ? Remember that the sitemap defines how a request
is processed (pipeline only a part of it : there's also the flow) and is
executed upon a call to "Processor.process()" !

>>> However, there the issue of "backwards compatibly" as Torsten points
>>> out.
>> Okay, we *could* (don't know right now if it's good) deprecate the
>> 2.0.x map:pipelines and map:pipeline and allow for a transition
>> period both versions for defining pipelines: map:pipeline and
>> map:pipe. And the in 2.1 newly introduced components are then
>> map:pipelines resp. map:pipeline.
>> At least this would be consistent.

The sitemap namespace contains a version number :
"", so what about upgrading to "1.1"
? It would be fairly easy for the TreeProcessor to autoconfigure itself
depending on the root element namespace and so handle gracefully both
versions, even inside a single Cocoon instance (i.e. sitemaps and
subsitemaps in different versions).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message