cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject AsynchronousCIncludeTransformer in scratchpad
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 22:38:02 GMT
Hi team,

I just checked in Greg Weinger's AsynchronousCIncludeTransformer [1] in
the 2.0 scratchpad.

This transformer allows included resources to be fetched in parallel
using concurrent threads, which is tremedously useful when included
resources are slow such as databases queries or remote web servers (e.g.
RSS feed aggregation).

There's a sample under mount/asynchronous (Greg, I modified it a bit).

However, this makes yet-another implementation of the include family,
and it's more than time for us to try to unify those.

Should we stick to our own CInclude, or should we go back to XInclude
[2] which has reached its 2nd candidate recommendation last september
(how slow : the first draft was written nearly 3 years ago !) ?

A quick look shows that XInclude allows attributes in other namespaces
on <xi:include>, which we may use to give some parameters to the
transformer for a particular resource, and also supports an
<xi:fallback> in case the included resource isn't available.

Is this enough for our needs ?

Sylvain

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103922681622322&w=2
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/