cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Defining Source Interfaces
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 14:22:22 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>

>>Cool. But I'm still not that happy with these methods being on Source
>>itself. What about TraversableSource or HierarchicalSource (I have this
>>last one ready on my PC with collections) ?
>>

>I really don't like all these instanceof tests and I think that a source
>can have children is very common. So if you deal with sources you always
>end up with a test if this source contains children or not.
>I think this test is much more cleaner/nicer/whatever if I can directly
>query the source. An instanceof test for this reason is not appropriate.

Okay. Let me throw in more arguments ;-)

How many protocols do we have for which parent and children make sense ?
Actually 2 : 'file' and 'slide' (and 'cvs' soon). For other protocols
such as 'cocoon', 'resource', 'blob', 'xmldb', 'http', etc, this has no
meaning.

How many components do we have that use a source's parent and children ?
Actually one : DirectoryGenerator, or its TraversableSource counterpart.

So should we add a lot of methods to Source for these few protocols and
components ? I would say no.

Furthermore, I consider that DirectoryGenerator should fail hard if we
try to generate from a source that is not traversable (as it does today
if it's not given a file). So we should be able to know not only if a
Source has children or not, but if it actually supports this feature.

Finally, what about WriteableSource, VersionableSource, LockableSource,
InspectableSource, etc ? Should we merge their methods to Source ? If
not, then why a particular case for TraversableSource ?

And as far as code cleanliness is concerned, an "instanceof" test seems
more OOP to me than a isTraversable() method that tells us if is we have
the right to use getParent() and getChildren(). With a separate
interface, these methods do not exist if they do not make sense.

Your turn, now ;-)

Sylvain