cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Defining Source Interfaces
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 14:12:37 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

[...]
>>You're totally on track. If you need this action right now, I would
>>suggest to mimic what's in the DirectoryGenerator, that makes the
>>assumption that the Source is a file. You can then use all the
>>facilities given by File.
>>

> And we only argue, if this support should belong to the Source interface
> or too an optional extension interface where I always have to do
> an instanceof to see if the source has childs or not.
>
> :)

It's nice when discussions are about where to put something new, it's
always goodness :-)

MHO: It all depends on what a Source is.

1 - If a source is a plug to a URI-based source handler, it should have
children.
2  -If it's a plug to a resource, it should not.

Usually a source is (2), but since we bind the Source to a URI, (1)
makes more sense. BTW, if (2) is true, specific Sources should probably
not be the place anyway where to traverse a URI space, or else we are in
case (1).

Also, a source should IMNSHO do stream2xml conversion. It should pipe
directly XML *only* if the source is itself already in xml form, like
for example a precompiled SAX stream or a direct plugged in SAX stream
(for example in the future bean env).

This makes the whole system more flexible, because we can easily change
Generators to make the stream2xml conversion phase pluggale. If we make
sources do all the conversion, we are back to Generators, and I don't
see the real benfit other than syntatic sugar...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -