cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Defining Source Interfaces
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:03:53 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>> Furthermore, I'm really wondering now if we need to release() a
>> Source, as I can't find any implementation that actually does
>> something of it.
>

> Do you mean recycle()? There is no release() in Source...

I was referring to SourceResolver.release() in 2.1 that is meant to
replace Source.recycle() that's present in 2.0

> If you've meant recycle(), look no further than into
> SitemapSource.java for implementation example. SitemapSource won't
> live without recycle() (unless you propose a way).

... ...(double-checking this complicated source file)... ...

Yep, you're right : this is a case where looked-up components must be
kept between calls of getLastModified() and toSax() to avoid multiple
constructions of the pipeline.

So, since at lease one implementation requires it, all Sources should be
released. Sorry for me wrongly making noise :-/

However, I still consider the new implementation of
SourceResolverImpl.release() in Excalibur (dated 15 dec. and not
currently in Cocoon) to be a performance burden since in most cases all
component-related operations it performs *will be useless*.

Carsten, what do you think ? Should we move this to avalon-dev or can
you wear you Avalon hat here ?

Sylvain