cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Defining Source Interfaces
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 17:23:41 GMT

Look at java.io.File : you have getPath() and getName(), not getLocalPath().

>>>    /** Return the parent source. Returns null if the source hasn't a
>>>parent. */
>>>    public Source getParentSource() throws ProcessingException,
>>>IOException;
>>>}
>>>

>I don't return Sources, because Sources can be Components, which
>must be resolved/released by the SourceResolver.
>So I think returning the URI instead of the Sources is a must-have.

I disagree : the SourceResolver is used to get a Source from its URL,
but a Source is not a component : the component is the SourceFactory
that creates Source instances. A source itself is not managed by a
ServiceManager.

Also, having to hop through the SourceResolver to get parents or
children of a Source *really hits performance*, as each call to
resolve() looks up/releases the factory, asks it to create the source,
etc, etc.

Looking at all traversable sources I know of (Slide source and my
yet-unpublished CVSSource and TraversableFileSource), getting the
children or parents Source objects is really trivial and lightweight
compared to the processing required if we go through the SourceResolver.

Furthermore, I'm really wondering now if we need to release() a Source,
as I can't find any implementation that actually does something of it.

And I don't think an implementation will ever use it : the point where
something has to be released in Sources is related to stream methods
(look at BlobSource.getInputStream()). Also, these methods can be called
several times during the lifetime of the Source object, and their result
can last longer than the Source object's lifetime (look at
XSLTProcessorImpl.resolve()).

And releasing a Source involves once more a look up/release of the
SourceFactory to actually do nothing...

So, considering that the SourceResolver is one of the most used
components, removing release() from this interface may lead to a
significant performance increase.

>>>Carsten, I also some remarks/questions about your changes in Excalibur :
>>>- should parent/child traversal be defined on Source. IMO, a Source
>>>should be kept very simple and basic as not all sources are traversable,
>>>

>>Yes, that is true. But always doing an instanceof is not the best advice
>>for doing OOP. So, I thought of adding the most common methods to the base
>>interface and only use extending interfaces if required.
>>

>I like Avalon because of the separation of the contracts. If you implement
>a component, you don't have to implement all lifecycle methods like
>EJBs. If you implement a source you only need to implement the IFs that
>you need.

Yep. The beauty of Avalon comes from it's "Zen-itude" : each interface
provides the minimal but sufficient set of methods.

Sylvain