cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HSSFSerializer - Extensions?
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2003 16:24:10 GMT
Jody Goldberg wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 12:31:07PM -0500, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>

>>My preference would be (this markup is off the top of my head and not
>>intended to be accurate, just give the picture):
>>
>><styles>
>></styles>
>>
>><styleregions>
>> <styleregion startcol....startrow...endrow.... style="1"/>
>></styleregions>
>>
>><cells>
>>  <cell row="1", col="2" style="1"></cell>
>></cells>
>>

>Yup that was pretty much what I was thinking.  It seems cleaner to
>split the specification of the style out of the detail of the region
>particularly in the case where the resulting regions with the same
>style are somewhat disjoint.  Once we have that the slight extension
>to support optional per cell style specification is trivial.
>Gnumeric itself would not export things that way but we could import
>it trivially.
>
>We would specify the styles on a per sheet basis, and would leave
>things like the number format and font details merged in rather than
>splitting them ala OpenOffice.

Excellent.

>Sound reasonable ?
>
>Other elements I was hoping to address was to
>    - store calculated values
>    - merge the various bits of view information out of their
>      multiple records
>    - store custom colour history
>    - make sheet object format more extensible
>    - explore ways to handle external references, and their values

1 and 4 would help us.. . 2 might hurt us depending on what you have in
mind
(but I doubt it because it would hurt your excel compatibility too if
the records
were too disjointed from what Excel can handle/provide -- splitting is
fine, but
its where say something that is per workbook becomes per sheet, etc that
things get painful).

-Andy