cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Handing over Cocoon Bean code
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2003 10:50:59 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>> Agreed.

>>> Why? I don't see a cocoon bean as part of the environment.
>>

>> Stefano, please excuse me, but you keep asking questions and I don't
>> see many concrete examples from you (either). It's difficult for me to
>> keep track of all the discussions and reply to all your questions.
>> Please help me find solutions and counterproposals. My energy is not
>> infinite, please help me.
>

> I apologize if you felt attacked, my friend, it was not my intention.

I don't feel attacked, Stefano, you are always very friendly; I'm just
trying to tell you that it would be easier and more productive for /me/
if you could help me with actual examples. I should/will do it too, and
I cannot really ask you to do it, since you are giving your free time
like me...

[...]

> Please, never forget that I would not spending time replying to a
> message if I didn't consider it valuable and I didn't appreciate your
> effort in writing it.

I know, sorry if seemed to feel pissed off. I wasn't, I just feel
sometimes I'm alone in pushing concretely forward in these discussions.
Sorry.

>> I could ask you, then what do you think a cocoon bean would look like?
>

> the o.a.c.Cocoon class is what I already consider as a bean (or a
> processor for that matter).. in fact, it was designed to be an Avalon
> Block (and could easily become one)... at the same time, my vision is
> limited and I wanted to see other visions and talk about them, that's
> why I asked since you seemed to have a more precise vision.

ReLook at how o.a.c.Cocoon is setup and used in Main.java, and you'll
see how nobody would use it in its code, it's way too complicated.
We had already talked a bit about this, and we thought that maybe making
a second CocoonBean class would be better with regards to compatibility
with old code that relies on Cocoon.java, but actually I would prefer
Cocoon.java to be that bean/service.

>> This is my simplified view:
>> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/morphos/src/java/org/apache/commons/morphos/Morpher.java?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

>> In essence (with the due changes):
>>
>>   void setInput(Object input);
>>   void setOutput(Object output);
>>   void morph() throws MorphException;
>>
>> How do I set input... etc etc etc
>>
>> So Upayavira, forget the suggestion and send the code.
>> Let's see what you have done.
>
> Yep.

Ok, I've seen it now and it's interesting.
 From what I've quickly seen, it still depends on the
filesavingenvironment, and does not have a signature like the above example.

Good work, Upayavira, I'll take a deeper look at it now.
Thanks!

             - verba volant, scripta manent -