cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <>
Subject Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:18:11 GMT
--On Saturday, January 25, 2003 2:42 PM +0100 Stefano Mazzocchi
<> wrote:

> those are not minor releases. Those are "releases", a release is
> something that you might build your stuff upon. It's a contract.
> Books, for example, use these contracts for years (before a new
> edition outdates another one, but that edition can still be used)

Correct.  If you look at our new mirroring guidelines
(, we're attempting to
advocate keeping releases in a stable place forever.  For example,
cocoon 2.0.4 source should always be available at:

I don't think *releases* are our problem right now.  I believe it is
the nightly builds.  Those aren't official releases, and I don't
think we have the obligation to keep those around.

> Cocoon distribution is not the lastest version, is the *entire*
> collection of releases.

> I say we do this incrementally:
> 1) first we remove all the betas, alphas, release candidates from
> xml and jakarta
> 2) if the problem persists, we iterate again.
> for the future, we'll think about ways to decentralize the
> distribution system even from the source.

If we only have *offical releases* and we still have a space crunch,
then we should buy more hard drive space.  That is our responsibility
as part of the ASF.   But, as Brian has pointed out, most of that is
in jakarta's /builds/ which contain nightly builds.  -- justin

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message