cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Inclusion of SAP R/3 components
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:38:34 GMT
On 16.Jan.2003 -- 10:03 AM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
> >
> >Other worry: this means adding yet another mega-functional-component
> >to Cocoon, and I have have been talking offlist about my worries in
> >this direction.
> >
> >We better start using the -apps module then, I guess (and some other
> >components might as well migrate there, too).
>
> I share Steven's feelings (I'm one of the "offlist") : we voted a
> cocoon-apps module to host Cocoon-related developments that don't belong
> to the core. And this ultra-specific component typically falls in this
> category.
>
> I don't discuss its quality nor its usefullness (SAP is used in large
> companies and this could be a "troyan horse" to bring Cocoon inside),
> but adding it to the main CVS repository, even in a block, would
> increase the bloat.

The SAP R/3 connectivity consists of 4 interfaces, 5 implementing
classes and a transformer:

java/org/apache/cocoon/components/web3/Web3.java
java/org/apache/cocoon/components/web3/Web3Client.java
java/org/apache/cocoon/components/web3/Web3DataSource.java
java/org/apache/cocoon/components/web3/Web3Streamer.java

java/org/apache/cocoon/components/web3/impl/DefaultWeb3StreamerImpl.java
java/org/apache/cocoon/components/web3/impl/Web3ClientImpl.java
java/org/apache/cocoon/components/web3/impl/Web3DataSourceImpl.java
java/org/apache/cocoon/components/web3/impl/Web3DataSourceSelectorImpl.java
java/org/apache/cocoon/components/web3/impl/Web3Properties.java

java/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/Web3RfcTransformer.java

It is not an application per se but a connectivity
component. Everything is already nicely organized to fit into a
block.

For me, the apps module appeared to be more a repository for stuff
like wyona e.g. complete apps.

> Please also correlate these thoughts with the "zombie code" discussion.

Sylvain, wasn't it you that said if the component were present by
default, it would have generated patches from the user base? Wouldn't
that suggest to have it in a highly visible place like core cvs
module and hence the main distro?

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l