cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject [OT] you tried xmlMind?
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:59:07 GMT
Dear All,

After a hard weeks work, I have finally got XMLMind working as a
WYSIWYG XML editor for our site content. Furthermore it has been
accepted by the client as the tool their content writers will use on
their LAN.

It's a blinding piece of software!!

If you have not seen it, check it out!
<http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/>

It uses a combination of it's own XML config, CSS and XSD/DTD to style
XML and enforce Schema validated editing. We have managed to make
editing views close enough (just) to the way they look in a browser.
You can add GUI widgets to add/insert/convert appropriately, it is very
adaptable, and has macros, custom commands and has a plugable API. CSS
support is not as complete as I'd like, but there are some very useful
extensions to it which come in handy for showing images, adding static
meta info etc.

Being based on standards means we will be able to port the editing to
other apps as they come along if we want to. I don't know of any other
standalone Apps that work the same way as XMLMind (yet!), but most of
the CSS and all of the XSD would be portable if you wanted to use Wyona
or BitFlux, I imagine.

XMLMind has a free and paid-for version. The free version has the
limitation that you can only edit documents that have a default
namespace in the "http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/schema/*" url space.
No great hardship for us, though it could be a nuisance for some.

I am using it on MacOSX, where it is pretty buggy, but then I am having
to use the Developer Preview v8 of Java 1.4.1 in which to run it.
XMLMind acknowledge the problems and say they take the platform
seriously ....

I have been waiting a long time to be able to work like this!

These types of editors are becoming a reality.

Maybe we should start contributing XSD etc. Schemas for the different
Cocoon document namespaces, like SQLTransformer,
SourceWritingTransformer etc. we are going to start needing them for
editors ;)

regards Jeremy